Thursday, April 11, 2013

Most Interesting Thing

    I am so happy with my decision to volunteer for Acts4Youth and I am planning to continue volunteering next year too. It has been an amazing experience so far and I hope to stay with the sam students until they move onto high school. I attended a meeting with some of the volunteers and what I learned at this meeting was completely shocking. The student director told us that the detention centers in Baltimore figure out how many beds to have by checking the elementary school and seeing how many fourth graders are still at a second grade reading level. When I heard this I was completely shocked, I could not believe it. I work with the 5th graders and they have so much potential to be great and successful, and it's so sad knowing that for many of these kids the education system will fail them. I hope that I can somehow help them realize how much they have going for them and help them move onto high school and college.

No comments:

Post a Comment