Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Most Surprising Moment


Kyle Howard
Literature
April 10, 2013
Dr. Ellis
Most Surprising Moment

                The most surprising thing I learned (or saw) was not a piece of literature or something that was discussed in class, it occurred outside of the classroom. The post-racial blues speech that took place in McGuire Hall a few weeks ago was the most surprising thing I saw this semester. Nothing in the speech that was given by the excellent keynote speaker surprised me but it was about who showed up. It was surprising because EVERYBODY showed up. (I am exaggerating of course). Before the speech took place, somebody who was running the event announced that some people were not allowed into the event, due to a fire hazard, and that they could watch the speech on tape a few days later. Impressed would be an understatement for describing how I felt. I found it incredible that so many members of the university came together in order to hear analysis on an article of literature that we had all read. I guess the only way I could describe it would be by calling it “awesome.” Seeing so many different parts of the university come together and all sit down in one place for an extended period of time and listen to a well delivered speech put a massive smile on my face. Finally, on a bit of a side note, I did not witness too many cell phones out during the speech which also surprised me that we could all put down our phones and listen to one person for about an hour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment