Thursday, April 11, 2013

The Most Surprising Thing


This semester has taught me so much and has given me such amazing experiences that for me to just pick one that is most surprising to me is difficult.  If I had to pick one, it would be the Autism talk that I attended as an event.  For the past three years I have babysit three different families that have autistic children so I went to the even thinking I knew most of the things that these people were going to talk about. Yet when I got there I realized that it wasn’t some professor talking to us about people who have autism , instead it was the people who have lived all of their life with Autism that sat in front of me and talked about how much they loved their life and what they do everyday. This had really surprised me. I thought that I was pretty in the know when it came to Autism, but I realized that I had never really thought about what happens when the kids I babysit grow up. It never occurred to me that they would have to overcome more obstacles then everyone else because of their Autism. That talk was one of the best talks I have even been too and I really enjoyed it.  It may have been one of my favorite things that I did this semester, even outside of class. 

No comments:

Post a Comment